I cannot say I came up with this entirely myself, I saw another mum put the tortilla quiche recipe up on another site and thought I’d challenge myself to make it wheat, egg, dairy and allergen free!
I’m putting this recipe up after only one attempt as it was pretty good first time round but flavour wise there is room for improvement, and I can’t wait to get experimenting with different ingredients.
For the replacement of Eggs I used, ‘Vegan Egg’ by Follow Your Heart. This is a 100% plant based egg replacer and the only one I have found so far that can be scrambled, made into an omelette, or in this case a quiche. Be ready for that distinctly eggy smell when the mixture is made up, don’t worry it definitely dies off once cooked and it’s worth it as you really do end up with an egg like substance and taste!
I started off with something simple, just a ‘cheese’, onion and mushroom quiche but I don’t see why this couldn’t work with any other flavours, I’m going to try spinach and ‘ricotta’ next!
For the wheat free tortilla I used Venice bakery’s but if you don’t have a wheat allergy you could use any wraps you’d prefer.
I made this quiche in a 6″ cake tin so you may need to scale up or down the quantity of your eggs based on the size tin or dish you are using.
- Olive oil
- Gluten Free tortilla wraps, enough to cover the base of your pan and sides
Egg replacer to four eggs
- Onions diced
- Mushrooms diced
- Cheese alternative grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190°C. lightly grease your dish with some olive oil and place the tortilla inside covering the base and sides. Place in the oven until crisp, about 10minutes
- Fry off the onion and mushroom until soft and tender
- Mix up your egg replacer to the manufacturers guidelines . The egg replacer I use calls for ice cold water so I tend to keep a bottle in the fridge, I then place this into the freezer when I know I’m going to be making up some eggs so its extra cool. Don’t let it sit in the freezer for too long as you’ll be making your eggs with ice.
- Add the cheese, onions and mushrooms to the egg mix with a little salt and pepper and give it a good stir then just add this to your tortilla base and cook in the oven for 40mins or until golden on top and the quiche springs back when gently touched.
- For my toddler I served with chips, broccoli and carrots and for myself a nice avocado and tomato salad.
Hope you all enjoy!! – I’ll try and get better photo’s next time, these do not do it justice!!